Why do I have to fill my car up with oil so often?

I have a 2009 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6-litre automatic with 45,000 on the clock. I acquired the car in June 2020. The car has been serviced annually (last in June 2020) and passed its MOT in January 2021. I have, however, had to fill up the oil three times in the last 10 months. I don't know if this is because I'm doing predominantly short journeys or if this is something to worry about. Any advice would be of help. Thanks.

Asked on 15 May 2021 by Andrew green

Due to the age of the car, I imagine various seals and gaskets are starting to deteriorate and cause small leaks. It's possible the piston rings may also be worn and allowing oil into the combustion chamber (where it is burnt off).

At 12 years old, the car is approaching the end of its mechanical life (most cars are scrapped at 14-years). You might be ok for another two or three years by topping up the oil but there is no way to fix age-related seal/ring problems without spending huge amounts of money on the car. However, at the car's next annual service in June, I would ask the mechanic to check the engine over for any obvious signs of oil leakage.
Tags: oil leaks