I made a stupid mistake and put the wrong fuel in my car. What should I do?

I filled my diesel Nissan Qashqai with petrol. What’s the best course of action?

Asked on 9 May 2021 by William Gaskins

The best course of action would be to pay for a mobile mechanic to drain the fuel tank and flush the system before refilling with diesel. This will cost in the region of £250.

Do not drive the car. The diesel acts as a lubricant for the fuel pump and running petrol through it will cause friction between the pump's internal parts. It will also wreck the injectors, which will cost you thousands to put right.
Tags: misfuelling