I want to lease a small car. Is there a time of year when better deals are offered?

I currently drive a Land Rover Freelander but I'm considering changing to a smaller leased car for a few years until the newer hybrids improve on distance. I live in a rural area so would need at least a 250-mile guaranteed range. I'm considering something like a Citreon C3 or Vauxhall Corsa, but will consider any economical smaller car/hatchback with room for my dogs.
When is the best time of year to lease? Is there anything to be aware of, like fees and charges? I would expect an annual mileage of around 8000. Thanks.

Asked on 10 May 2021 by Suzy

There isn't really a set time of year that's good for getting an affordable lease deal. Keep an eye on leasing sites – there are quite often 'flash deals' when there's a surplus of cars that need to be shifted. You might notice that the deals available are slightly better towards the end of the month when dealers have targets to meet. That's especially true towards the end of quarters. It's worth looking during quiet periods – over Christmas, for example. Being flexible about which cars (and trim level) you want will also help you get a better deal.

As a step towards an electric vehicle, consider a hybrid like the new Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz. Both are great cars, combining a petrol engine with an electric motor. They'll never need charging but are more efficient than petrol alternatives. If you'd prefer a standard petrol model, we'd recommend a Volkswagen Polo or Ford Fiesta.