The coil spring of our 2017 car broke, severing the brake and starting a fire. Can we do anything if the car is out of warranty?

Due to a strange noise, while driving, we thought was something banging around in the boot. We stopped to check and flames were coming from the offside back wheel and the brake had locked. The car has only done 30,000 miles, with just 4000 since the last service. The breakdown people found that the coil spring had broken, severing the brake. It's out of warranty by 8 months. The car is a 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d. Any thoughts, please?

Asked on 30 April 2021 by Anni Douglas

You will need to identify the cause of the coil spring failure. It's possible the anti-corrosion covering has become damaged and this has allowed water and winter road salt to prematurely rust the spring. It's also possible that the spring has become damaged by road surfaces (like potholes) or driving over speed humps at speed. I would suggest you have the car inspected to ensure the other springs are not affected. Mercedes-Benz UK may be willing to contribute towards the cost of the repair if the car has a full-service history. Otherwise, I would suggest you take the car to an independent Mercedes specialist.
Tags: