Are there any good alloy wheel protectors?

Is there any alloy protector product on the market that is any good? I have looked at some but they look rather thin.

Asked on 20 April 2021 by Richard Sanders

There are a few on the market but they generally have very mixed reviews. The best solution — though, not cheap — would be to buy a set of tyres with kerbing protection. Probably best to wait until you want to change tyres and then look into it. A quick Google should give you some idea of which brands/makes to look out for.

The tyres with wheel rim protectors will usually have one of the following markings on the sidewall of the tyre:

RFP (Rim Fringe Protector)
FP (Fringe Protector)
MFS (Maximum Flange Shield)
FR (Felgen Ripen)
FSL (Felgenschutzleiste)
ML (Mit Leiste)

If you're keen on alloy protectors, like Alloygators, instead — this is a useful article to look at: www.chipsaway.co.uk/blog/what-are-alloy-wheel-rim-.../