Are there any good alloy wheel protectors?

Is there any alloy protector product on the market that is any good? I have looked at some but they look rather thin.

Asked on 20 April 2021 by Richard Sanders

Answered by Georgia Petrie
There are a few on the market but they generally have very mixed reviews. The best solution — though, not cheap — would be to buy a set of tyres with kerbing protection. Probably best to wait until you want to change tyres and then look into it. A quick Google should give you some idea of which brands/makes to look out for.

The tyres with wheel rim protectors will usually have one of the following markings on the sidewall of the tyre:

RFP (Rim Fringe Protector)
FP (Fringe Protector)
MFS (Maximum Flange Shield)
FR (Felgen Ripen)
FSL (Felgenschutzleiste)
ML (Mit Leiste)

If you're keen on alloy protectors, like Alloygators, instead — this is a useful article to look at:
Similar questions
I have just purchased a new Skoda Karoq Scout with 19-inch wheels as standard. In the past three days I have managed heartbreakingly to kerb two of the wheels. In all my years of driving I cannot remember...
I damaged two of my 2015 Fiat 500 alloy wheels on a kerb and each has a small chip on the rim. Refurbishing two wheels costs £160 - £220 and I will not be sure that they are safe. Fiat wheels are £700...
I have just had two new tyres fitted by my local tyre fitters. During the fitting of the new tyres to the wheels, they scored each of the spokes on both alloys in a constant radius. They apologised and...


Value my car