Will an electric car maintain its quoted range if it's driven at high speeds?

How do quoted economy figures for battery-electric cars hold up if the car is driven continuously at motorway speeds? My daughter lives 170 miles away and all but 2 miles is on a dual carriageway or motorway.

Asked on 9 March 2021 by Ian Bushell

Not great. Electric cars are at their best driven around town – at low speeds, with lots of regenerative braking capturing energy and giving the remaining range a boost. In our experience, electric vehicles start to lose range quite rapidly above 60mph. A longer-range electric car like the Volkswagen ID.3 Tour or Tesla Model 3 Long Range should be able to do that journey quite comfortably, though.