I have an issue with constantly sticking rear brakes. Can you help?

I have a Hyundai i10 and am having a problem with constantly sticking rear brakes, to the extent that once I was not able to get the car to move. I experience the 'crack' mentioned by another owner every time I use the car. I park on the road, but it is on a slight downward slope. I leave it in reverse gear but daren't leave the handbrake off in case it rolls forward. Can you help?

Asked on 18 February 2021 by Gillian Hazeldine

It's a fairly common issue that affects a number of cars. When you leave your i10 parked up with the handbrake on for an extended period, the brake discs corrode and the pads stick to the discs. This is more likely to happen in wet weather. We'd recommend leaving your car in gear without the handbrake on – it might feel unnerving but if it's in gear, it won't move. You could also try changing the pads – some are more prone to sticking than others.
Tags: brake pads