I'm buying a high mileage BMW, do you have any advice?

I'm about to buy a high mileage but very well maintained 2008 BMW 520d. It looks really nice and clean. The car is in pristine condition but there is no way to get into the engine and understand what is going on in there. The owner is a BMW specialist with his own garage and high tech staff servicing BMWs. Do you have any advice for me?

Asked on 10 February 2021 by Michael

A diesel BMW of this age could prove to be quite expensive to run. High mileage is a good thing, though – it means it's likely to have been used for lots of motorway journeys and the diesel particulate filter (DPF) will have been kept clear. Problems occur when diesels are used for regular short journeys and the DPFs become clogged. That aside, I'd want to see evidence of regular servicing (receipts as well as a fully stamped service book). You'll have to accept that running costs will be more than a Ford Focus, too. This should give you an idea of common issues: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/5-series-e60-200...d