Can I return a car I don't like within 14 days of buying?

I very recently purchased a 1-year-old BMW M135I from a BMW main dealer. Although I really like the car, I find the driving seat very hard which results in backache that I will find hard to live with over time. I wish to return it. Prior to the purchase, the sales assistant told me that I have 14 days to return the car if I 'don't like the drive' as it will have been purchased under distance selling legislation. However, when I contacted the dealer yesterday they said they will take the car back 'as a last resort', although 'there will be cost involved'. I am currently unsure how much. Is this legal? Thanks very much.

Asked on 18 January 2021 by Chris O

The 14 days is sometimes known as the 'cooling-off period' and, as the sales assistant said, you can return the vehicle within 14 days for any reason if you bought it remotely. It's hard to answer the question without knowing what the costs would be for, but you may have to pay for delivery costs or the like. This page on Citizen's Advice should help: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mi.../

I would push the dealer to outline what the potential costs would be and then if you're unsure of the legality, contact Citizens Advice.