Can I use tyres with different speed ratings on my car?

I need to buy some new tyres. The current tyres have a speed rating of H. Is it a bad idea to replace the two rear tyres with some that have a speed rating of V (as they seem to be cheaper)?

Asked on 23 December 2020 by rw400

This should be fine as V rated tyres are a higher speed rating than H, as long as it isn't a 4WD car. Black Circles site says: "The fitting of a higher speed rating is fine. If you do choose a tyre with a higher speed rating though, we recommend that you match the tyres across the axles, avoiding having different speed ratings fitted on either side of the car. We do not recommend lowering the speed rating to anything less than was fitted to your vehicle as original equipment on the production line."
Tags: tyres