Can you recommend a good scratch remover for paintwork?

I've just bought a 2017 Honda CR-V from Honda Used Approved. How do I go about cleaning and protecting the paintwork? What can I use to take off existing scratches? Thanks.

Asked on 16 October 2020 by Nishant

We've tested Farecla G3 Professional Scratch Remover Liquid and thought it worked quite well. It's about £9. You can read our review here: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/review-farecla-g3-pro...d

As for the cleaning and protection of paintwork, a reputable brand would be our advice. Personally, we'd opt for Autoglym or Meguiar's. Some drivers prefer polish, some prefer wax - it's a matter of preference. In short, polish removes grease, dirt etc, as well as stripping away a tiny layer of the paint’s top coat (damaged or oxidised sections) - which reveals the fresh pain beneath. Car wax protects the car's paintwork, so when it's buffed in properly, the car gets a brand new protective layer making it look shiny and new for longer, and keeping water off the paintwork. The best thing to do is wash your car normally with whatever products you use, then have a look at the paintwork to see if you actually need to apply polish. If you do want to polish your car, we'd recommend a polish like Poorboys White Diamond (amzn.to/2W4qYaA) or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (amzn.to/2XOvzna), followed by Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax (amzn.to/2Wvdg59). The wax should last a while so you shouldn't need to wax it for a few weeks or even a couple of months.