At what age do tyres need replaced?

I've just bought a 2003 Ferrari 360. The tyres are the originals, so 17 years old. They have around 2mm of tread left and cracks between the treads. The seller will not replace them as the car passed its MoT. Are they safe?

Asked on 7 July 2020 by phil l

The car is running on 17-year-old tyres. No, this is not safe. The rubber compound degrades over times as it is exposed to the elements and, after 17-years, these tyres will be in a very poor state. All tyres should be replaced every 10-years. The dealer should pay for the replacement tyres or take the car back and give you a full refund. For your consumer rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons...s
Tags: tyres