Which brand of premium petrol is best?

Could you please advise which is the better petrol: Tesco 99RON or Shell’s 98RON?

Asked on 6 July 2020 by Ian T

There is no independent data or research which shows that premium fuel is worth the extra money over standard fuel. Shell may promote the fact that their V Power is better for an engine but there is nothing to verify this. For the vast majority of cars on the road (performance cars and some classics excluded), standard 95RON fuel is more than adequate. As an independent consumer website, our aim is to ensure readers aren't out of pocket - the tiny economy savings you may see from premium fuel would not justify the extra price per litre in our opinion.