Is ethanol going to damage my classic car?

I run a low mileage 1988 Jaguar XJ-S. I have always run it on V-Power - which for a long time did not apparently have an Ethanol content, now it is 5%. Do I need to take any steps to tackle problems with the ethanol or does the high grade petrol incorporate sufficient protection?

Asked on 24 July 2020 by Richard H

Answered by Keith Moody
Are you using it daily? If so, you'll most likely be fine. A lot of the problems caused by ethanol are induced when the car is left standing. This allows the fuel to 'split' and the concentrated ethanol to attack components. If it's something you are concerned about, there are additives out there to help - although we must add that we haven't tested them.
Tags: classic car