Do you know your car's MoT and mileage history? Our user profiles will show you for FREE | No thanks
Ask a Question

Who’s sorny now?

In July this year I part-exchanged my old motor home for a new vehicle with a West Country main dealer. I posted the V5C/3 document for the part exchanged vehicle stamped and signed by the dealer to DVLA Swansea together with a refund application for the outstanding road tax. In error the V5 document was sent to Post Code Swansea SA99 1AL together with the road tax refund document, the correct Post Code for the V5 document was Swansea SA99 1BD. The DVLA refused to acknowledge receipt of the V5 document and would neither return it to me in the same envelope as the road tax refund cheque so that I could re-submit it to the correct Post Code or transfer the document internally. The first indication I had that I had made an error in the submission of the V5 document was when I was issued with a late licensing penalty in October for the sum of £80 reduced to £40 if paid within 2 weeks for failing to make a SORN declaration. I have written to the DVLA twice explaining the situation and made several telephone calls. The end result was a letter from DVLA Enforcement Centre Manager refusing to withdraw the penalty and stating ‘As an organisation, DVLA is strongly committed to providing its customers with the best possible service’. What a joke. Not wishing to go to the trouble and expense of appointing a solicitor I paid the £40.00 penalty. Be warned DVLA is a ruthless organisation.

Asked on 17 January 2009 by

Answered by Honest John
I recently received a Failure to Relicense Vehicle notification from the DVLA for a car I sold back in July. I must confess that I didn't receive a confirmation letter, but it's more complicated than that. The car was old and knackered and one day I found it with a telephone number stuck to it, saying ring here if you want to sell. I did and a couple of blokes came around and we agreed that I'd get £120 plus the radio and current tax disc. They then loaded the car on to a lorry and took it away. I sent the logbook and old tax disc back to the DVLA (separately) and shortly later received my refund. The V14 has a section that states 'declare SORN unless you're selling the vehicle'. As I sold it, I left this alone. The DVLA received one of my notifications, even if it wasn't the one with new keeper details, so is the right? I returned the form with the above facts, but haven't heard back yet. The form stated that the fine would double if it wasn't paid by the 21/11/2008, so I'm also wondering if I should pay this now in case I'm held at fault, but does paying it admit fault?
Similar questions
Just to add to the previous advice you gave about notifying the DVLA when you sell/part-ex a vehicle. I recently did a part-ex and the dealer kindly offered to send my Part 9 of the V5C registration document...
You probably think I'm paranoid but based on the DVLA's propensity to fine everyone for everything whenever possible I thought I'd better check with you to see if can offer any advice (other than to get...
You recently published an email from a reader who had notified the DVLA of a change of vehicle keeper by email. Customers who submit an email enquiry regarding disposal, will receive a computer-generated...
Related models
Very good car in its day. Better than subsequent C Class.

Ask Honest John

Value my car

Amount to borrow
Sorry. The minimum loan amount is £1000
To pay back over

My credit score

Best available rate 9.20%

Total repayment £9,304.93

Total cost of credit £1,804.93


60 monthly payments

Apply now

Representative example

The Representative APR is 13.2% (fixed) so if you borrow £7,500 over 4 years at a rate of 13.2% p.a (fixed) you will repay £199.21 per month and repay £9562.20 in total.