Can you recommend a reliable, economical SUV with 4WD?

I'm looking for a new/used car that is reliable and economical, as well as providing some form of 4WD option. I live in the countryside and my MINI has not survived the potholes round here! I also need a good sized boot for my dog. I'm looking to spend up to £20,000 but am completely overwhelmed as to which car to buy. Do you have any ideas? I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me. Thank you.

Asked on 3 June 2020 by Kate Hickish

I'd recommend the Skoda Karoq. It is really good to drive, comfortable and has a good-sized boot. It was rated as one of the UK's best SUVs in our latest Satisfaction Index: www.honestjohn.co.uk/honest-john-satisfaction-inde.../

If you want something smaller, I'd recommend the Toyota C-HR. The boot is not as large as the Karoq, but the C-HR has a very good reputation for reliability: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/c-hr-2016