Can you suggest a compact, reliable, petrol MPV for a small family?

I've been a Honda Jazz obsessive for the past 10 years, but now equipped with two little people, a dog and far too much stuff to lug between stays with the in-laws, I'm craving that little bit more space without losing all that I love the Jazz for. I have dreams of the Honda HR-V or CR-V one day, but sadly cannot currently justify the extra size and cost. So I'm left looking for a reliable and economic compact/mid-size MPV. I have up to £12,000 to spend on a used car, with the criteria - automatic, petrol, as much boot as I can get, a relatively high driving position with easy access, reliable and economic when it comes to tax/servicing. Thank you!

Asked on 5 December 2020 by Nadia Staden

We'd recommend a BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. The 1.5-litre petrol engine used in the 218i provides low running costs and punchy performance. Also consider a Volkswagen Golf SV or Touran – the latter's a particularly practical choice, although you might struggle to find a petrol model. Alternatively, a Vauxhall Zafira Tourer could be a good choice. It's quite a big car but offers loads of space for the money and won't cost a fortune to run.