What family car is suitable for a dog and a new baby?

My daughter and son-in-law require a nearly new vehicle to accommodate a medium-size dog and a baby. They are badge conscious and have about £20,000 - £30,000 to spend. What would you recommend?

Asked on 14 July 2017 by Malcolm Howard Guy

If it's an old dog, they need something with a low rear sill such as a Volkswagen Golf SV or Kia Carens. If it's a young dog that can jump a bit higher, then an SUV such as a Peugeot 3008, SEAT Ateca, Suzuki Vitara S, Kia Sportage GT 1.6T-GDI. They can now get a Volkswagen Tiguan with a petrol engine from £25,000. Then, of course, there's the part hatch, part SUV Audi A2. Always remember, however, that young dogs become old fairly rapidly