Should I be concerned about outstanding recalls when buying a new car?

I've been looking at a 2016 Mercedes-Benz SLC for sale for £15,950. It has everything I wanted but has 60,500 miles. Would this be considered high? Can I haggle the price stating that this is more mileage I was looking for? I also see there are two outstanding recalls for this model, one being quite a serious fire hazard. Would it be on the independent dealer or me to sort that out? Would Mercedes fix that?

Asked on 4 May 2020 by Jack Merrill

The seller should have paperwork for the recall work. If they don't, walk away from the sale. The SLC is a complicated car that will quickly become a financial nightmare if basic maintenance has been neglected. The pricing you quote is on par for a private sale: www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/Mercedes-Benz/SLC.../

However, if you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't buy a Mercedes-Benz SLC. The Audi TT is a far better car to drive. The interior is a set above the SLC too, and it doesn't have a metal folding roof that will require a second mortgage to fix if it goes wrong. A 2016 Audi TT convertible will set you back roughly the same money: www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/search/Audi/TT/...0
Tags: recalls