How do I prevent rodents chewing through the cables in my car?

My car is garaged in a carport next to the house. Last week, an engine warning light appeared. When the engine was started, it was was vibrating badly. The garage I use phoned to say that mice or rats had eaten through cables under the bonnet. They had to replace the ignition coil and HT leads. Now fixed, the car drives well. But how can I stop this happening again?

Asked on 28 April 2020 by Alan Mayne

Rodent damage seems to be getting more common as manufacturers look to use more plant-based biodegradable materials. You can buy anti-rodent insulation tape - it contains Capsaicin which is disliked by mice and rats. Try wrapping your cables in this.