If I replace the engine of a vehicle, can I set the odometer to zero?

I've just fitted a brand new crate engine to my Ford Explorer that I'm restoring. It has 126,000 miles on it, but can I zero the clock because the engine has done no miles yet?

Asked on 3 April 2020 by paul bewick

The odometer should display how many miles the vehicle has covered and not just the engine. Resetting it to zero would give any potential buyer the impression the vehicle has not been used, which is clearly not the case. I would recommend putting a sticker in the engine bay and logbook which says when the engine was replaced and where it was sourced from.