I'm buying a car but it has ECU problems - should I walk away?

The 2008 Mercedes A150 I was about to buy from a garage has had to have the ECU sent off for reconditioning in order to pass the MoT. The garage agreed to do this before I bought it. In light of this do you still think it's a good idea to go ahead and buy it once the ECU has been fixed? I have been told ECU problems can be a nightmare and therefore I'm a little wary now of moving forward with the purchase.

Asked on 10 March 2020 by D C

ECU problems can indeed be a nightmare. The fact the garage has been forced to send it away to be fixed would ring alarm bells, because it suggests they lack the skills to fix any future problems the ECU may develop. I'd walk away and find another A150 to buy