I want to buy a vehicle for towing but I worry about buying a diesel model because they're being phased out. What do you think?

I’m in a quandary. I'm planning to retire in the next four years and the intention was to replace my 2008 diesel Ford Mondeo with a two-year-old vehicle to tow my touring van (1400kg). What should I buy? I like the pulling power of diesel but that is being phased out. Electric is a no-go because of the range. Hybrid, then, seems to be the only choice. Or should I buy diesel and worry about availability in the future? What would be the best option?

Asked on 2 March 2020 by David Cooper

I'd recommend a diesel. They still make sense for towing. Diesels won't be phased out entirely for a while yet.