Belts off

I have recently experienced 2 timing belt failures, both within the 40,000 / 4 years limits. The 1st in August 09 on a 1995 Astra 1.6 petrol. The 2nd in December 09 on a 1999 Zafira 1.8 petrol, which occurred within 14,000 miles and 14 months of being fitted. The belts were Goodyear and were fitted by a local garage that had previously given satisfactory service. No explanations have been provided following investigations. Do you have any advice or comments?

Asked on 20 March 2010 by D.S., via e-mail

More likely to be the result of failure of the plastic/nylon pulleys the
belts run on, or the tensioners, or the waterpumps than the belts
themselves.