A friend's car had its reg plate cloned and now the car is constantly being stopped by police?

A friend's son has a Ford Transit van, which has had its number plate cloned. This number plate has been used in a high-speed pursuit and my friend's son is now constantly being stopped by the police. What can he do?

Asked on 6 November 2019 by alan

Vehicle cloning is a growing problem with some parts of London seeing a massive increase in cases: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal-motoring-advice/20...s

Assuming he's already told the police (and been given a crime number), I'd recommend speaking with the DVLA and asking them to issue a new registration number for the van.