When fitting new tyres should they go on the front or back wheels?

My brother-in-law has a Skoda Rapid and needing two new tyres asked which end should have the new ones. I said new ones on the rear but his Skoda dealer has said that "on this car they should be on the front". This seems to be contrary to general advice. Any thoughts?

Asked on 27 August 2019 by modelman093

The Tyre Safety Council advice is to make the car more stable when braking into a corner in the wet. Best tyres on the rear mean less likely to provoke oversteer. The dealer advice of best tyres on the front is to help prevent the car going straight on at corners and perhaps straight into something coming the other way.

Check Tyres On The Drive (bit.ly/2ZlEVaR) and Blackcircles.com (bit.ly/2JM6bqG) for sizes and prices and read our Tyre Buying Guide (bit.ly/2wsFHBU)