Will the batteries of EVs be expensive to replace?

At some point in the future, the batteries on electric cars will need to be replaced. I have yet to see any indication of the cost of this. I expect it to be expensive and must surely impact on the second-hand value of electric cars? Can you shine any light on this?

Asked on 23 August 2019 by

The average lifespan of a car is around 14 years. A recent study reveals that a Nissan Leaf with the original 24 kWh battery pack loses about 20 per cent of its capacity on average over five years so it's not inconceivable that many will outlast a typical petrol or diesel car without needing a replacement battery. If you do want to replace the battery in an EV, it will cost around £5000 depending on the model.