Can I drive in the EU if my licence is being renewed with the DVLA?

I have to renew my licence which will take up to three weeks - meanwhile, can I drive to Germany?

If your existing photocard is still valid, you can continue to drive in the UK and EU. You must send your old photocard to the DVLA when you get your new licence.

If it has expired, however, you risk a fine of up to £1000 in the UK. You will also risk prosecution if you are pulled over by the Police in Germany, simply because you will not have a valid licence to drive.