Can I drive in the EU if my licence is being renewed with the DVLA?

I have to renew my licence which will take up to three weeks - meanwhile, can I drive to Germany?

Asked on 21 August 2019 by Caroline Duncombe

Answered by Dan Powell
If your existing photocard is still valid, you can continue to drive in the UK and EU. You must send your old photocard to the DVLA when you get your new licence.

If it has expired, however, you risk a fine of up to £1000 in the UK. You will also risk prosecution if you are pulled over by the Police in Germany, simply because you will not have a valid licence to drive.
Similar questions
At 70, can I renew my license online if I don't have a passport? My existing license was renewed only four years ago so would DVLA use the photo from that, or would I have to apply by post and provide...
My driving license expires in February 2021. Should I apply for a renewal now or wait?
Is there any further news from DVLA regarding licence renewals for 70 year olds' photo licence? I am still unable to obtain a photo. My birthday is 6 June, which is getting ever nearer. I first wrote to...

Value my car