Can you clamp a car that's parked on your driveway?

I read your answer to the person who had problems with someone parking illegally on their driveway and wondered if the following solution might be possible?
1) Put up a sign saying that cars parking illegally were liable to be clamped.
2) Clamp the offending vehicle next time it parks in the driveway?
3) Don’t ask for any money to remove the clamp, but simply say that you can not immediately find the key to the clamp.
4) Make the owner of the car wait about an hour before “finding” the key and release the clamp.
Where would you stand legally doing this given that you are not demanding any money for clamping their vehicle?

Asked on 26 November 2018 by Dolbert123

It's a criminal offence to clamp/block/tow away a vehicle on private land without lawful authority. Lawful authority to immobilise or move a vehicle is restricted to a number of organisations, such as the police, DVLA and local authorities.