Can you tow away a car that's been parked on your drive?

Could I, although a lawyer, offer a practical response to the reader's problem of a car unlawfully parked on their drive? First, physically block the car from being removed. If this is likely to be ineffective, tow the car from the drive taking care not to cause any damage (take photos before and after) and leave it a few miles away. Neither course of action breaks the law nor results in civil liability provided no damage is caused. It is not beyond the wit of man to move a car without damaging it.

Asked on 26 November 2018 by jaraab67

We wouldn't offer that advice to anyone because it is actually a criminal offence to clamp/block/tow away a vehicle on private land without lawful authority. Lawful authority to immobilise or move a vehicle is restricted to a number of organisations such as the police, DVLA and local authorities.