How do I know if the DPF in my car is regenerating?

I have a diesel Nissan X-Trail and I try to limit the number of short journeys. When I have to use it I tend to drive in the 2000rpm plus bracket. I have done 12,700 miles this way yet I have never noticed a DPF regeneration symbol on my dash.
I am sure that the 2016 X-Trail having a DPF should have such a display. Do you know when the regeneration should be working on this model, and would the dash symbol be universal?

Asked on 6 November 2018 by Barrie Lindsey

There is no DPF regeneration signal on anything. No car has one. They should have and it would be easy to rig via a heat sensor, but manufacturers choose not to fit them because it reminds drivers of an inconvenience of owning a diesel. I have a Renault Koleos which is the same vehicle with a different body. No DPF trouble at all.