What would have caused the fire in my MINI?

I was driving recently when my 2007 MINI Clubman caught fire. It had had a new diesel engine fitted over the summer after the previous engine suffered a persistent oil leak. It had also had a recent service. Any idea what the cause of the fire may have been? The insurance company will not investigate as the damage is too severe.

Asked on 2 November 2018 by David Baker

Probably the oil feed pipe to the turbo bearing came off because the oil return pipe was blocked with carbon. Hot oil spraying onto a red hot turbo is the most likely reason for the fire.