Should I haggle for a second hand car?

I am looking to buy a 2016 or 2017 Renault Clio and have spotted a few suitable models in local dealers. On a couple of occasions now, I have test driven the cars and then asked the dealer to name their best price. They have told me that they are constantly checking prices, they think their price is competitive and they can't move on the asking price. On both occasions I have walked away and missed out on the car. I don't want a huge discount but it seems unusual not to be able to agree a price at £500 or so below the asking price. Am I being unreasonable, or is there something about the model of car I'm looking at which means dealers are less willing to accept an offer?

Asked on 16 October 2018 by Daniel B

If the dealer sold the cars for the asking prices on both occasions, why should he give you £500 off? It's always a matter of negotiation, but the actual price is the important thing. If the dealer was already asking sensible, reasonable prices, that's why he sold the cars at those prices.