I received a summons for passing a cyclist too close - what's the law in this situation?

I have received a summons under the careless driving umbrella, specifically saying I passed a cyclist too close (which I dispute). This came about by the cyclist uploading his cycle cam video to the police and the police refusing me access to that video submission. Excepting the general advice about passing cyclists in the highway code, is there an actual law that states the minimum space one should leave and can the police refuse to show me the video?

Asked on 12 October 2018 by ekka

Answered by Andrew Brady
The wording of the Highway Code states that you must "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car". I think the wording is slightly ambiguous, but if you've been issued with a court summons I strongly advise seeking legal advice.
Similar questions
If you have any advice for a frustrated driver then I should be grateful to hear it. Whilst heading out and driving along a local urban stretch of A-road today I caught up with a group of at least 20 cyclists,...
An elderly relative of mine has been accused of hitting a third party vehicle which was driving along a road while my relative was reversing into a parking space. My relative's insurance company has inspected...
My son was stopped on his way to work by the police for having a brake light out. When asked where he was going he told them to work. He has fully comprehensive insurance but was told that he didn’t have...

Ask Honest John

Value my car