I received a summons for passing a cyclist too close - what's the law in this situation?

I have received a summons under the careless driving umbrella, specifically saying I passed a cyclist too close (which I dispute). This came about by the cyclist uploading his cycle cam video to the police and the police refusing me access to that video submission. Excepting the general advice about passing cyclists in the highway code, is there an actual law that states the minimum space one should leave and can the police refuse to show me the video?

Asked on 12 October 2018 by ekka

The wording of the Highway Code states that you must "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car". I think the wording is slightly ambiguous, but if you've been issued with a court summons I strongly advise seeking legal advice.