I'm having engine issues with my two-year-old Peugeot - do I have any rights?

I have a 2016 Peugeot 2008 1.2 petrol and it has had problems with the engine spluttering on climbing a hill. The first time the dealer changed the leads and the second time they re-programmed the CPU. It happened again but this time it was only firing on two cylinders. The dealer found one of the spark plugs had a bit broken off in the cylinder head. A compression test showed the cylinder down 2 bar but Peugeot says this is within tolerance. What is your opinion of this and what rights do I have to request a new engine?

Asked on 31 July 2018 by Frank Findlay

It's very rare for problems to occur with the 1.2 PureTech. If they won't automatically fit a new engine then write a letter to the dealer principal of the supplying dealership stating that you find it unacceptable that your engine should have had these problems as a result of a broken spark plug, that you are very concerned that there has been "consequential damage" and that you hold the dealership fully responsible for any engine problems you suffer for up to six years from the date of purchase. Send this letter by Post Office Special Delivery, keep a copy, and staple the certificate of posting to the copy so it becomes a 'matter of record' admissible in court.