What reasons could there be for a 2006 plate on a car first registered in February 2007?

I've just bought a second hand car and have noticed that it has 2006 plates but it was first registered in February 2007. I was told it was owned by a dealer/bodyshop for some time before the seller bought it - does this make sense?

There is nothing to stop anyone buying or keeping on retention a registration from earlier than the date that the car is actually registered. Unwise of the dealer, but he may have had a batch of 2006 registrations allocated to him and used one of them when he came to register this car for the first time in February 2007. Of course, a February 2007 would be a 2007/56 anyway. It could not be an 07 reg unless registered between March and August 2007.