What's a good car for driving in winter?

I know it is high summer, but can you recommend a winter runaround that can be used on untreated rural roads? My current car is a BMW 5 Series estate which is a great drive but even with winter tyres is not ideal. Low running costs are essential.

Cold weather tyres or all weather tyres will get you through snow more effectively than four wheel drive with standard tyres. Obviously 4WD combined with cold weather tyres or all weather tyres are best of all. One car worth looking out for is the old Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin. They were really good.