Can a recovery firm refuse to take my caravan to a repairer?

My caravan broke down (the suspension collapsed on one side) and was recovered by a recovery company who took my caravan to their holding yard overnight. The next day I contacted them and requested that the caravan is taken to a repairer some thirty miles away, but they refuse to do so, claiming that the caravan is in too bad a condition to be taken that far and they will only take a couple of miles. Can they legally refuse, and what are my options

Of course they can. The caravan is unsafe and unroadworthy and you are asking them to do something that could endanger them, their vehicle and other road users. You make an excellent case for compulsory annual MoT testing of all caravans.