Can I have temporary insurance cover for my old car I'm selling?

I currently have motor insurance with Quote Me Happy. I'm considering the purchase of another car and may possibly have someone who could be interested in buying my old car as a private sale. It's quite likely that there will be a period of time, hopefully fairly short, in which I will own both cars and will need to insure them both simultaneously. Please can you advise the best way of doing this. I have tried contacting QMH to see if they will allow me to add a second vehicle to my policy on a temporary basis but haven't received a reply yet. As an online-only insurer, the only options are either to look at their FAQs (which don't cover this scenario) or to send them an online question - which I have done.

Asked on 18 June 2018 by

Answered by Tim Kelly
I would do as you have done, as there should be no reason why they cannot put another vehicle on temporarily, as it is a common thing. Alternatively, insure your new vehicle separately, request your proof of no claims from your current insurer, advise that you will be cancelling the policy soon,as you are selling the car soon. The time taken in doing this will generally cover the cross over. Quote me Happy are Aviva, contact Aviva Customer services and they will have no issue adding an additional car for you.
Similar questions
I have two cars registered in my name, with my wife as named driver for past 30 years. I am now unable to drive due to ill health. Do I need to change car ownership, in order to allow my wife to get insurance?...
I was offered cheaper insurance if I insured two cars with Admiral. I told them I had a Citroen C3 and a Mitsubishi L200. They told me that L200 is a van so doesn't qualify. The fact that it’s a private...
Six years ago my son and I had full no claims on our cars, but when I got married my husband talked us into taking multi-car insurance out with Admiral. We were assured that we would all still build up...


Value my car