Enter Honest John's Kit Competition An awesome prize is up for grabs every week | No thanks

When does the cam belt on my car need changed?

I own a 2013 Volkswagen Golf 1.4 with 65,000 miles on (mostly long distance, motorway journeys). I'm getting differing opinions as to when is the best time for cam belt change (plus water pump). I want to pass the car over to my daughter, who would need to keep it going until about 100,000 miles. I don't want to land her her with a smashed up valve system. Any thought please?

Asked on 11 June 2018 by Anthony Lavelle

We have two standard pieces of maintenance advice. Change engine oil and filter at least every year or every 10,000 miles whichever comes first. Change timing belt, tensioner, waterpump (if driven by the timing belt) and auxiliaries belt at least every five years or every 60,000 miles - whichever comes first.