Friday evening road accidents - HF
Bit morbid, but I was just reading the RAC report about Friday evenings being the worst times for road accidents.

Apparently there are around 250 fatalities/serious injuries at 5pm on Fridays, compared with 180 average for the same time other weekdays. (I find both figures staggeringly high).

So, all of you take care driving home tonight - and of course every other night too.
HF
Friday evening road accidents - Dan J
Safe driving yourself HF,

Interesting statistics. I have what I call the "M6 Death Run" which doesn't seem to be day related.

It would seem at least one night of each working week, someone manages to have some catastrohpic accident or kill themselves somewhere between J21 and J16 of the above motorway. This stretch is renound for accidents though quite why I don't know - it doesn't seem any different to me than any other bits of motorway I can think of.

Those lovely flashing message signs in the distance usually signify "Motorway Closed at JXX" and a very, very long journey home!

I'd like to suggest sponsorship of some kind of Destruction Derby where people can get these things out of their systems.

Take care all....

Dan J

Friday evening road accidents - No Do$h
I remember reading that this section of the M6 had so many accidents as it is roughly mid-way for those on a Far-North to Far South (or vice-versa) journey, at a point when fatigue starts to impact on driving ability.

No Dosh - He who dies with the most toys wins.
Friday evening road accidents - BrianW
How about a league table of roads with the most accidents, so we know which bits to avoid or take extra special care on?

I would nominate the Seven Sisters Road alongside Finsbury Park in north London, a half mile stretch which to my certain knowledge has had at least four separate fatal accidents in the last four or 5 months, including two since Christmas, the last of which was at 12.15 pm last Sunday!.
Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Friday evening road accidents - Andrew-T
One of these (the exact title was probably different) was reported a few months ago. One of the 'worst' roads was the A889 in Scotland I think.
Friday evening road accidents - volvoman
I'll do my best to avoid you going to/from school this afternoon then HF ;-)
I'll do my best to avoid you going to/from school this
afternoon then HF ;-)

>>

:o
I'm deeply shocked and hurt. But fear not, my original post refered to 5pm, not 3.30 ;)
HF
So we can continue with our clandestine 'meetings' in your car every Friday pm then can we HF ? :-)
If you feel safe to do so. Still sulking, so we shall have to see ;)
HF
Huh ... Typical woman... threatens to withdraw her "favours" when she's got the 'ump ! ;-)
Friday evening road accidents - top turkey
These are, sadly, quite believeable figures. I have always found that rush 'hour' on a Friday to be the worst for inconsiderate drivers rushing to get home after a week at work. Sadly, 250 are in such a rush that they either die or get injured by their actions.

As HF implies, don't be one of the statistics.
Friday evening road accidents - FFX-DM
Apparently there are around 250 fatalities/serious injuries at 5pm on Fridays,
compared with 180 average for the same time other weekdays. (I
find both figures staggeringly high).

According to my maths that gives 57,460 deaths/serious injuries per year. I think that this is somewhat higher than the official annual death toll figure, so I think that the figures are not accurate.

However, the general premise seems sound enough and not remotely suprising.
FFX, weekend figures are lower, I think, if that makes any difference. But these figures refer only to 5pm, not all the rest of the day/night!

Maybe the figures are wrong, as you say, or maybe a significant proportion are serious injuries rather than deaths.
HF
Friday evening road accidents - FFX-DM
Well I hope everybody has a safe drive home does not add to the stats, whatever the figures are!

I previous noticed something similar when a pro-20mph in towns campaigner was quoting numbers of children killed by cars every year. The number she quoted was in excess of the total for all groups killed.

I have to repeat that the fact that most accidents happen when the most people are on the roads does not entirely come as a great shock. What I want to know is how does one get a job in one of these research institutions? Not quite as good as the study that was done on discovering if buttered toast did in fact land butter side down more often than butter side up.... actually, that reminds me of a VERY rude joke, far too rude to post here! :-)
Friday evening road accidents - Dan J
:) Very intrigued about your joke FFX-DM!

The "93% of all statistics are made up" is tongue-in-cheek but very believable. IMHO what often happens is something starts off with it's foot in reality (such as a good idea regarding lowering speed limits round school areas as an example) then the more excitable people don't think they can get their point across without adding some over-exaggerated statistic. Of course the next person to relay the story wants to equally create a big impression so ups/lowers or whatever the figures by 20 odd percent. It gets to the point where once you actually come to the numbers bit it ends up in complete ridicule because (completely made up) the floor cleaner that killed one dog after it drank it has suddenly endangered 20% of all dogs and wiped out one particular breed of labrador.

I remember arguing with a XXXXXX party member during campaign time who was trying to persuade me with all sorts of horrific statistics. I actually had many of the real figures to hand and it was hilarious asking her where hers had come from. Thin air springs to mind - she would've made a good random number generator though...

Obviously wasn't suggesting that HF had made these figures up, just that it often happens :)
I read it on AOL news, Dan, which obviously does not guarantee its absolute accuracy ;)
HF
Friday evening road accidents - Vin {P}
I see absolutely no problem with the statistics - provided it is assumed that they mean deaths per year that occur in Friday rush hour (presumably the hour after 5pm?). That gives us 250 p.a. for Friday and 180 x 4 = 720 p.a. the rest of the week, so we have 970 deaths per annum occurring during rush hours. That seems consistent with a total of 4,000 over all hours, as the evening rush hour is as busy as the roads get, with knackered drivers behind the wheel.
Friday evening road accidents - SteveH42
Yes, Vin, that's how I was interpreting the stats as well. Not that clear really, are they.

The Friday stats are a bit odd in some ways - not sure if this is a country-wide thing, but in Stockport, the Friday rush starts at about 1pm and goes on until 7. Friday has more varied finishing times so things shouldn't be too bad. As others have commented, it is likely that tiredness and a desire to get home contribute, but nonetheless it's a tad strange...
I see absolutely no problem with the statistics - provided it
is assumed that they mean deaths per year that occur in
Friday rush hour (presumably the hour after 5pm?). That gives
us 250 p.a. for Friday and 180 x 4 = 720
p.a. the rest of the week, so we have 970 deaths
per annum occurring during rush hours. That seems consistent with
a total of 4,000 over all hours, as the evening rush
hour is as busy as the roads get, with knackered drivers
behind the wheel.

Ahh, ok, I'm sorry, it seems I've misled people here with my report of the news item. Per annum was not mentioned, the implication was that on Fridays at 5pm an average of 250 motorists are killed or seriously injured.

My apologies,
HF
Friday evening road accidents - SteveH42
Oh dear, HF, you're not starting to believe everything you see in the media are you? Even the BBC have started sensationalising this sort of story. Of course the point is to make people think as you did. That said, even the correct interpretation means 5 people will die or be badly hurt every Friday rush hour.
Oh dear, HF, you're not starting to believe everything you see
in the media are you? Even the BBC have started sensationalising
this sort of story. Of course the point is to make
people think as you did. That said, even the correct interpretation
means 5 people will die or be badly hurt every Friday
rush hour.

Hi Steve,

no I hope I don't believe everything I read in the media! It's just that this one seemed rather shocking to me - if the facts are wrong, then, as I said, I apologise profusely for misleading people ;)
HF
Friday evening road accidents - Alfafan {P}
IIRC the figures for deaths average about 10 or 11 a day, about 4,000 a year. I remember back in the '60s (1960's), the average daily death rate was about 19-20, 7,000 a year. No idea what the serious injury rate is though.
Friday evening road accidents - cabsmanuk
How many people go for a lunchtime drink on Friday? They may not be over the limit but anything that impairs (is that spelled correctly?) judgement won't help the statistics. Couple that with exhausted workers at the end of the week then is it surprising?
How many people go for a lunchtime drink on Friday? They
may not be over the limit but anything that impairs (is
that spelled correctly?) judgement won't help the statistics. Couple that with
exhausted workers at the end of the week then is it
surprising?

Cabsman that is all very true (and correctly spelt!) The Friday drink, and the reliief that the working week is finally over, could well be a factor - and the report I read mentioned this too.
HF

Friday evening road accidents - cockle {P}
I wonder whether there is also some 'grockle' factor involved. Certainly living in a seaside town it is fairly evident that a lot of weekenders seem to set off around Friday lunchtime and arrive here Friday just before or around the rush. Creates a scenario of strangers in town not too sure of the road layout, possibly who don't drive a lot during the week, all of a sudden mixed in with all the locals rushing around to get home. Everyone tries to be patient but frustration can build leading to risks being taken therefore accident risk must increase. Must be a fairly common thing around the country, certainly during the summer months.

Cockle
That is a very good point, Cockle. Doesn't account for the same problem in non-seaside parts of the country, though, unfortunately.
HF
Friday evening road accidents - Vin {P}
Just by the way, "Seriously injured" involves anyone who has to stay overnight in hospital. That is standard policy for people knocked unconscious for any amount of time in an accident.

So, hit your head on the steering wheel, knock yourself out for twenty seconds and you're in the statistics as "seriously injured".

Thought you might like to know.

V
That would account for the statistics, then!
HF
Friday evening road accidents - cockle {P}
HF

Strange though it may seem we seasiders do like to get away from the salty air occasionally so the phenomenon would work the other way. For instance I enjoy a good weekend walking in the Lakes or the Peak District in the autumn and spring also I enjoy weekend trips to the North East where I have relatives. Hence I have experienced that terrible feeling of trying to find my way around in the Friday rush in an unfamiliar town, it can be quite disconcerting, and sad to say sometimes I have been known to let my concentration lapse, fortunately without dire consequence.

Cockle
Hi Cockle -

Point taken, and I'm glad any lapse of concentration on your part has ended happily so far. Hope it continues - and take care, wherever you may find youself.
HF