Ford Focus Zetec Mk3 (58) Manual/Petrol - Gear lever broken/snapped - JT56

Hi im new to this site and only fix simple things on my cars

My problem is when i tried to put my car into reverse the lever seemed to snap and go all floppy in its housing and i couldnt find any gear...

I removed the leather gator around the lever base to expose the rest of the shaft and lever mechanics. From what is see the gear knob has a metal shaft that goes downwards, with a slight *kink in it, into a metal to nylon ball joint which has a metal rod going to its left into what seems to be a forward/reverse selector. This all seems to work fine.

However (when sitting in my drivers seat and looking down) half way down the gear knob shaft, the metal shaft *kinks. At this point there is a **plastic connector whith a pin that attaches into a nylon universal joint that has a metal rod that goes into the front of the car to change through the gears. **THE PLASTIC CONNECTOR HAS SNAPPED!! I can still physically reach in and change gear by pulling the nylon to metal rod and manually change gears. I cant drive the vehicle though as this manual changing is very awkward at best.

Ive considered 2part glueing this back together to get me to a garage but think i may have to get it picked up. Has anyone experienced this problem before. A plastic part at such an crucial joint seems silly to me... It seems an easy fix but i think it may be more complicated (costly) than meets the eye. Cheers JT

Ford Focus Zetec Mk3 (58) Manual/Petrol - Gear lever broken/snapped - MikeTorque

Cars often have a number of cheap & poor quality components that are going to break as some stage.

Recommend you get the car taken to a garage and have them fix it for you.