Corolla or C4...help please? - Dingle232

Hi

I am looking to downsize my car based on what is now my vastly reduced mileage and am looking at the following vehicles:

Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4D (2007) w/42k miles and FSH.

Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6HDi (2009) w/15k miles and FSH.

The Toyota would be a no cost option as it's a straight swap for my trade in whereas the C4 would cost me about £1200. Having had a Toyota in a previous life I'm kinda swayed towards that, especially as it's a no cost option and my experience with them has been that they are pretty reliable. However it is an older car and doesn't have some of the features that the C4 has. The C4 is absolutely immaculate but I have never owned one and have heard many horror stories about Citroen reliability...whether these are true or not.

The C4 is a couple of years newer as well.

Any advice as to which would be the wiser buy? I plan to keep either of them for 12 to 18 months during which time I am saving up for a dream motor before I get old. I do about 16k/year so I am after a diesel.

Any help appreciated.

Corolla or C4...help please? - Chris79
If you go for the Citroen I think you need to be lucky. I had a c4 albeit a petrol one and it was mechanically reliable but the electrics regularly played up. After two citroens in a row that had caused problems I vowed never again. That said we use a number of Citroen and Peugeot taxis at work which have covered six figure mileages with little or no trouble.

A lot of people will tell you to go for the corolla, and possibly rightly so, that said cars only have an intended shelf life of 7-8 years so possibly there is something to be said for having a newer car?

As a final footnote I thought it was considered unwise to go for very low mileage diesels due to the potential problems with dpf etc. no doubt some wiser people than me will be able to advise more on this matter.

Best of luck.
Corolla or C4...help please? - gordonbennet

Both should be reliable enough for the time you expect to own them, the only thing is if the Citroen has the automated manual box its not the most reliable of things nor any pleasure to drive IMO.

Our 1.6HDi gets used mostly locally but has a fast longer run every so often and hasn't given a moments trouble...so far..;)

If you were asking about long term 5+ years or run it till it falls apart then it would have to be the Toyota.

Thanks both. Thats the dilemma I am in - the C4 is a bit more contemporary and I have not had one before, plus it's low mileage which, as an ex Motability car 'should' mean it's ok. But of course there's always the danger that it's been moved on so early because of a problem. You never know.

My experience with Toyota's (I have owned 3, all diesels, has been excellent with zero problems. Again though this is a car that's 5 years old already and 5 years is 5 years..

By the way both cars are manual so that kinda removes that variable.

Little sleep tonight methinks.

Corolla or C4...help please? - 72 dudes

Normally I would say go for the C4.

However, as its ex Motorbility and has only done 15k in 3 years I would probably steer clear. It suggests lots of short journeys.

Motorbility cars are not always the good buys people think. Clutch problems are not uncommon. This is a bit of a sweeping statement; some Motorbility cars have been well looked after. There's no way of knowing which this C4 is.

Maybe the answer is to look at some more C4s witha higher mileage.

Edited by 72 dudes on 05/11/2012 at 18:18

Corolla or C4...help please? - Trilogy

My brother has a 2007 C4 petrol and it has been reliable apart from a window regulator. He bought it 3 years ago, with 10,000 miles on the clock. It has now done just over 30,000 miles.

Corolla or C4...help please? - BigJohnD

I'm biased now being on my second C4 HDi, both from all but new. Between them they've done over 100,000 miles and never had an unscheduled day off the road.

Go for the 110 Hdi. The DV6 engine is powerful and economical, great for motorway cruising. Expect 52-55mpg, 60 with a bit of care.

The VTR+ is the trim to go for, though the post 2008 models are not as well eqipped as the original MkIs.

Make sure the the service record is complete and the oil was changed on or before every 12,500 miles. Regular oil changes are essential for turbo longevity.

I had a rental Corolla when I was in Aus, and thought it was a really sloppy car with no style.

For full info on the C4 including buying used, visit C4Owners.org

Edited by BigJohnD on 05/11/2012 at 18:53

Whenever I look at a car it's the little things that strike me. The C4 is utterly immaculate and has had the 12500 mile service done. However when I was in it today the trim underneath the glove compartment fell down into the footwell and it was clear that it had no clips on.

With all the talk of electrical issues I have heard, again maybe unjustifiably, that just makes me worry that something has clearly been fiddled with under there. May be a massive over reaction admittedly but, as I said, I notice the little things.

I spoke to the Corolla previous owner earlier who was a really decent bloke. He confirmed that the car was sound, no bumps, serviced regularly with the only issue being an engine light on that pointed to a non existent diesel leak - was cleared and not come on since.

I would agree that the C4 is the more contemporary car and certainly more economical. However it's gonna have to go some to recoup the £1400 cost over the Corolla in the 12 - 18 months I plan to own it I guess.

Which is likely to hold its value more - any idea? Not that either will be worth much by then.

Corolla or C4...help please? - Trilogy

I would think the Toyota will hold it's value best. In the 1990s I had 3 Corollas and lost very little with them. Toyotas have always had a reputation for being very reliable whereas Citroen historically have been the opposite.

Corolla or C4...help please? - bazza

I have an 06 Corolla right now, as something of a stop-gap car. It's a 1.4 petrol. It's solid, well assembled and has a bombproof feel that compares with a Mk 2 Golf I once owned. It's comfortable, handles well, decent steering and economical. Having said all that it is completely unexciting, it just does the job very very well. At 5 years old and 42K, the Corolla is barely run in! I haven;t driven a C4 but my experience of Citroens has been positive, it will have more flair than the Corolla and as a much more modern design it will have more toys, electrics etc - which could of course be a downside! If it were me, I'd have the one that is likely to cost me least over the short period of ownership you specify, ie the Corolla!

Thanks for all the responses. On balance I am going to go for the Toyota - purely based on previous experience and the degree of outlay now being zilch.

I hope I am right!!
Sorry, very final question - do these diesel Corollas have a DPF? I hope not.
Corolla or C4...help please? - SteveLee

The C4 is the nicer car to drive with more kit, the Corolla is more likely to be completely trouble free. The 2.0 litre diesel C4s are stunningly good on fuel and go like a hot(ish) hatch.

The C4 is the nicer car to drive with more kit, the Corolla is more likely to be completely trouble free. The 2.0 litre diesel C4s are stunningly good on fuel and go like a hot(ish) hatch.

I'd probably agree with that though the C4 felt a little more jittery and very harsh over some bumps. The Toyota was heavier and not as dynamic but overall felt a much more assured drive. if my agenda were different I'd have the C4 but, to be honest, I just want hassle free, reliable motoring for about a year and a half - then I plan to get an A6 or 5 series - I can do exciting then :-)

Corolla or C4...help please? - SteveLee

So you want to spent a smaller budget on a soft(er) riding more reliable car, then spend a bomb on a over-rated, crashy, unreliable money pit? (A6)

So you want to spent a smaller budget on a soft(er) riding more reliable car, then spend a bomb on a over-rated, crashy, unreliable money pit? (A6)

Not quite. I am spending absolutely NOTHING on the Corolla, not a single penny but your appriasal of it I'd agree with.

I know 4 people with A6's. All 5 - 6 years old, all FSH, all done 130k+, all trouble free and running as well as the day they were born. A very close friend of mine is on his 2nd with the first being a petrol and having been sold with 190k on the clock. Still original clutch and running perfectly.

My experience of A6's is clearly different than yours Steve but you pays your money...

Corolla or C4...help please? - Canon Fodder

Just to add my 2p worth, I had a '58 plate C4 'Loeb' petrol for 2 years and it was totally reliable.

But - and I'm being fussy here - I really missed it not having a left foot rest which in my view is essential to back-ache free long journeys as without one I'm never able to sit quite 'square' and evenly balanced

3 weeks in with the Corolla and I'm having some real issues from cold start - sometimes first time (but still feels like it struggles) but usually 2 or 3 times before it fires.

It's going into the dealers to have it looked at tomorrow with battery and glow plugs apparently the likely suspects though a free battery check last week revealed the battery was ok. Not convinced yet but either issue already sounding expensive.

Am a little concerned I've bought a lemon but guess I need to let them have a look. So much for my assertion about bombproof Toyotas eh?

Partly regretting not buying the C4......
Corolla or C4...help please? - Auristocrat

There is a recent topic in the Corolla forum of the Toyota Owners Club entitled "2.0 D-4D - Starting From Cold" ( http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141214 ) of someone else who has had trouble starting their Corolla diesel. They had a battery check done by Halfords, who said the battery was fine. Reverted to having the car checked at their Toyota dealer, and the battery completely failed its test. So one new battery.