Please Help! So stressed as hit parked car - suzi1

Hi

I am at my wits end as i helped someone move and hired a van.

I caused a small scratch to a parked car and the owner said he would consider my offer of paying for the repair out of court.

I didnt hear anything and assumed he had let it go...until 6 weeks later i got a letter from his insurers

He is now saying his car is undrivable and is using a hire car

The problem is im young and on a minimum wage, though i was insured to drive the hire van as i didnt notify them of the incident as i thought the owner was unlikely to claim...im now not covered as the hire company say i failed to tell them within 7 days.

To say that im stressed out is an understatement as honestly, the scratch was very minor and if you saw the car in question, you would laugh and think it was unroadworthy just to look at it!

I have been driving for 3 years with no problems so this is a first for me and its driving me insane as i simply have no money!

This bloke is trying to ruin me by lying...what can i do??

Edited by suzi1 on 25/10/2012 at 20:47

Please Help! So stressed as hit parked car - Butterfly
Oh dear. Did you take any pictures at the time or have you any witnesses? Personally I would spend £50 on a solicitors letter to the person concerned pointing out very firmly that his claim is bogus and that you, and your witnesse, will refute their claim most strongly in court if necessary but again, offering to pay for the small repair for the scratch.
I'm guessing you are quite young and he may just be trying to get one over but if he realises you are not a push over he may back off. Also has he given you any reports regarding the work he says is needed?
Please Help! So stressed as hit parked car - Armitage Shanks {p}

Did you make him an offer? Did the person who you were helping to move house see the event or the damage? Will they give a statement on your behalf?. Ask his insurers in what way has car is "Undriveable" and on what date did it become undriveable.. If you had caused damage to his car which made it "Undriveable" how did he remove it from the scene of the "Accident" Has he reported this incident to the police himnself? If so when and to what station. He is trying it on and won't win in the long run

Go and see Citizens Advice Bureau ando/r find a solicitor who gives 30 minutes free

Please Help! So stressed as hit parked car - concrete

suzi, don't panic. Take a deep breath and calm down. You will not be dragged out and burned at the stake!! Firstly, write back to the insurance company and explain, briefly and succinctly-do not ramble on- that the damage was extremely minor and their client agreed to a repair paid for by you and you were waiting to receive estimates from him. As far as you were concerned the matter was in progress and would be resolved amicably. Tell them your offer still stands and also you will nominate the repairer. Also, any further discussion will not be entered into other than examining estimates and nominating a repairer. Any correspondence regarding any other matters will not be considered.

Then track down this 'person' and take pictures of the vehicle and the damage. Also pictures of him driving the vehicle would be useful. Show the damage to a couple of motor body repairers and ask for an estimate for repairs. You should now have sufficient ammunition to blow his case out of the water, and a rough idea of the cost to you. Stand your ground and make clear you have an agreement with this 'person' and will not consider any other resolution apart from the one agreed to at the time of the damage. You hold some pretty good cards in this game so don't let it get you down. You are in control once you assert your position and stick to it. Keep us informed. Cheers Concrete