Honda civic 1.4 inspire hatchback 2003 - Wear and Tear, Honda Happiness Guarantee and cover - ipsga

Recently a friend who happens to be an engineer had a look over my new purchase, as above ten year old car, but I have been the owner for 6 months. He commented

" There's a transmission whine at idle and reverse gear engagement is very, very harsh."

So I gave the Honda dealership a call and received the following email:

The problems you have with the noise, is probably bearings inside the gearbox.

These bearings are a wear and tear item and are NOT covered under warranty.

The second issue you have with reverse gear is again a wear and tear issue, NOT covered.

We have been in discussions with Honda today but there is nothing they can do as they are wear and tear items; not covered by the warranty.

The cost of sorting both issues including labour, parts etc is £971.29 - the gearbox has to be removed and stripped down which is a days work.

As a gesture of goodwill we can discount the price to £702.49 and will collect the car from you at no extra cost and leave you a courtesy car to use for a few days.

I have the Honda Happiness Guarantee and that lists that Manual gearbox is covered but only if a failure occurs, so what would you do? Is it my problem as I am now the owner, so tough or should I contest that within 6 months I would not have managed this degree of wear and tear and therefore should have been made aware of any gearbox issues and the potential of costs incurred within the first 6 months?

I don't know perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree but it seems wrong to me.

Honda civic 1.4 inspire hatchback 2003 - Wear and Tear, Honda Happiness Guarantee and cover - gordonbennet

Mystic Meg working at that garage? from a telephone call they have diagnosed the fault and submitted a quote.

First thing to do with a suspected gearbox problem is to check the oil level, secondly change the oil, its a doddle on Civic and will cost about £15 for good oil, that won't repair any wear but might well quieten the whine.

9 year old car is bound to have some wear and tear, i'd be surprised if any warranty would cover this.

If and when the box gives up, which might be ten years away knowing Honda durability, stick another box in from a reputable breakers yard.

Honda civic 1.4 inspire hatchback 2003 - Wear and Tear, Honda Happiness Guarantee and cover - ipsga

Hi Gordon, yes you are not the only person to comment on their swiftness to diagnose and slip me the bill so 'efficiently' sound advice.thanks

Honda civic 1.4 inspire hatchback 2003 - Wear and Tear, Honda Happiness Guarantee and cover - thunderbird

No dealer/manufacturer on planet earth is going to give or sell you a fully comprehensive warranty on a 10 year old car, most new car warranties are not that generous. Be grateful they have taken you seriously and have offered you a discounted price (even though they probably increased it before the discount) and a loan car.

Had a Golf with a whiney gearbox, first spotted it at about 75,000 miles, had to get bearings sorted when it had done 105,000 miles 2 years later, cost £350 including a clutch while the box was out. Wife had a Bluebird, from noise starting to failure it was only a few weeks, again the cost was about £300 but no clutch needed.

Check/change oil then run it till it dies and scrap it or fit a box from a breakers.