fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - elli

I have steam / water coming out of the heater. The level of the expantion tank drops. The car has been off the road for a year and not strarted. Any ideas what is wrong?

fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - VR6

Steam / water from the vents is usually a leaking heater matrix.

The heater matrix normally sits behind the dash and has hot coolant running through it, which is how you get hot air inside the cabin.

Replacement usually means removing the dash on cars I've owned, but not too sure about the Fiesta.

fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - thunderbird

When the car was off the road did it have anti-freeze in it to the correct concentration. If not corrosion could be the cause or worse still frost damage.

When the car was off the road did it have anti-freeze in it to the correct concentration. If not corrosion could be the cause or worse still frost damage.

As far as I'm aware the original antifreeze was ok, but I can't be certain if the levels were ok . The car was just parked up due to illness and forgotten about.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that it wasn't the matrix as I don't think I have enough information to get at the matrix, is there a lot to do to remove the dash and get at it. any information would be appreciated. Paying for what sounds like an extended stay in a garage at the moment would not be affordable.

fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - elekie&a/c doctor
Access to heater matrix on these is not too difficult.It sits in rear engine bay bulkhead by wiper linkage and heater valve..hth
fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - Chris M

Some will cringe at the idea, but try a bottle of Radweld first. Cost <£5.

I'm very tempted, but the stuff might create more problems!!

fiesta 1998 - steam coming out of heater - bathtub tom

You may be able to loop the heater hoses, thus bypassing the matrix until you can afford a repair, or get too cold in Winter.

that is the route I will take until I can afford the garage, let the experts at it!