BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Codos

I'm thinking of buying a new car and currently looking at a 1 series BMW. After doing some research I came across a forum where I was shocked to see some CCTV of a £43k BMW beng stolen with ease. By the way this is not a dig a BMW because it seems that many major brands can be easily stolen in a similar way. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712717

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Collos25
With the correct equipment any car can be stolen at will trackers are completly useless to someone who has the know how
BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - unthrottled

It's hardly stealing with ease, is it? Compared to hot-wiring, this is fairly difficult. Anything can be stolen-given sufficient effort.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Codos

It's hardly stealing with ease, is it? Compared to hot-wiring, this is fairly difficult. Anything can be stolen-given sufficient effort.

With respect it's hardly difficult though. I wouldn't want to spend £43k on a car only to find out that a broken windown and 3 minutes work with an electronic gizmo is all it takes to wake up in the morning to an empty drive. Fully agree that if a thief wants your car there is very little you can do to stop it.

I wouldn't want to spend £43k on a car only to find out that a broken windown and 3 minutes work with an electronic gizmo is all it takes to wake up in the morning to an empty drive.

Then spend £250 on an M reg Proton which, I guarentee, will never be stolen! Anything mobile can be stolen. Technology is no use against a tow rope or a low loader.

The good news is that car theft has declined massively since the late eighties.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - RT
The good news is that car theft has declined massively since the late eighties.

And it tends to be expensive cars that get stolen - which is good news for the rest of us.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - mikem004

Could this be the return of the KrookLock and other steering wheel locks that we used to put on when we parked up?

Car crime seems to have gone down in recent years. The locks on my old Fiesta were always being attacked with a screwdriver. Then they pulled the ignition wiring out.

Could this be the return of the KrookLock and other steering wheel locks

They're very easy to defeat. The only one I see in use is on an N reg Astra owned by an elderly gentleman. The car is invariably parked with a steering wheel lock AND a similar device on the gear lever. No doubt the owner wil argue that he fact that the car has not been stolen 'proves' that the devices work!

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Ethan Edwards
If modern cars are easy to steal then why has Crookee turned from simply nicking your motor and slinking off, to breaking into your home to nick the keys then having it away with your motor. I think they call them Millenium burglaries. Crooks take the line of least resistance. So if your parked next to a nicer car or one that has less security that you (whatever you have) then they get stolen not you. IMO that is.

Or maybe because the fuzz let crims do two thousand or so twoc's each, before getting off their behinds to deign to take a look.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Bobbin Threadbare

I always park next to a nicer car. Also, car thieves fall into two groups; ones who want the car and ones who merely wish to steal your radio and anything you've got lying on the seats. Never leave your handbag in your car where it's visible.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - RT

Never leave your handbag in your car where it's visible.

Pardon me ??

They'll be letting wimmin drive next.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - madf

I keep my handbag out of sight at all times.

People leave laptops in cars and complain they are pinched... Muppetry.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - bananastand

Leave a folder marked SECRET PLANS on the seat. Stand back and watch. If anyone breaks in arrest them as a foreign spy.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - mikem004

Nobody wants to steal my radio cassette + some Madness tapes.

It's all CDs, MP3s and iPods nowadays :)

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Avant

Krookloks (or Stoplocks as mine is) are easy to defeat but one hopes that the thief will go for the next car that hasn't got one - on the grounds that it's one less lock to pick.

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - dacouch

Back in the early 90s when car crime was rife, I had a client who had a steering wheel lock on his GTE. Someone broke in one night but could not steel it, the next night they broke in and tried to smash it off but still could not get it off.

The next night he got his babies wireless baby monitor and put the bit you put in the kids room in the car and put the speaker by his bed. He was woken early in the morning by noise from the speaker. He went out with a baseball bat and performed a citizens arrest on the thief who had come back with a replacement steering wheel to get round the steering lock.

Baby monitors are good for catching thieves, especially if you have your own justice system

BMW 1 Series - Modern cars easy to steal - Bobbin Threadbare

That's some dedication, to come back three nights on the trot!!