406 clutch - orbit500
I'm looking at throwing in my 98 Mondeo V6 Si and picking up a 2001 406 V6 saloon. It all seems in fairly good order execpt for one thing.
The clutch engages VERY high, like my foot almost hits the roof of the footwell before it is fully there. There is no slip at all and it chirrups the wheels without effort.
I know cars are all different etc but I can't recall my mate's 98 406 2.0 turbo doing the same a few years back ... is it the V6 hydraulic clutch that has this as a 'feature' or is it a problem. If normal, has anyone had experience of getting used to it.
Any ideas guys ? - orbit500
help much appreciated !
Any ideas guys ? - Reggie
I'm not sure if I can give accurate advice about your clutch, except to say that on my 2.1 TD 406 at 46000 miles although the clutch bites higher up its travel than lower, I am not hitting the underside of the dashboard as it engages like you have described.
Where are you buying this car from? Is it a dealer, or is it private. From the way you describe it , it sounds more likely to be worn/faulty than still as it was designed to be. If I was looking at this car, I would either take it to a main dealer or somebody I knew to be competant, or find out the price of a new clutch, fitted and allow for this in the price negotiations. The other question is how many miles has it done? If the seller has nothing to hide, I cannot see why they should mind you having a professional opinion given on the clutch. A taxi driver did once tell me that on the 406 the clutch is expensive to replace, but I cannot remember the figure he gave me.
Reggie
Any ideas guys ? - orbit500
exactly what i thought ... i've checked the service record for the car and there have been no faults recorded on 45000 miles confirmed. New clutch is about £650 fitted and since it's still under Peugeot warranty i'd have to get the main dealer to fit it. On the phone the mechanice said they do engage high, certainly higher than the mondeo but I still found it difficult on the test drive although everything else looked fine.
It's a small non-franchised dealer; i guess my next step is to ask for the main dealer reference.
thanks for responding !