Volkswagen Caddy - Van hire repairs - how long after returning it? - JD256

I've just received an invoice for £1,000 for repairs to a van I hired way back (relatively speaking) in February

I hold my hands up to having damaged the vehicle as i clipped a post and scratched a side panel.

But where my query comes is that I returned it on Feb 3 and according to the invoice they've sent through it was taken to the garage 3 months later

I'll pay for the damage I caused, but if the van has been in use by the company for 3 months since, what's to say the damage hasn't got worse??

It really bugs me they wait until June to bill (and request payment in 10 days) and 3 months to actually repair the thing. Anything could have happened in that time, small dents and slightly more damage not caused by me, yet I'm expected to pay for it.

Do I have any cause for redress as they can't show that ALL the damage was caused by me, or that by waiting to put it in for repair it has made it worse or added damage to it and therefore cost me more?

As I said, I'll pay for the damage I caused, but 3 months on the road could do all sorts of things to a van to make it worse.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give on this.

Volkswagen Caddy - Van hire repairs - how long after returning it? - Simon
£1000??? How bad was the damage???

Honestly, not that bad - slight dent, some paint transfer onto the panel and a scratch across the paintwork.

Put it this way I've seen much worse. But it's a huge bill for that work in my view.

What's happened in that 3 months god only knows

Volkswagen Caddy - Van hire repairs - how long after returning it? - RT

Seems to me you should have dealt with the issue in February BEFORE anyone else hired the van.

Volkswagen Caddy - Van hire repairs - how long after returning it? - skidpan

Did you not have insurance? you should only be paying the excess surely.

That's the excess from the hire van's insurance - £1,000

It's their insurance not mine unfortunately.

Edited by JD256 on 02/07/2012 at 09:46