Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - activist3

I was wondering if anyone could give advice.

I was driving down the motorway yesterday and approaching my juntion i could hear a rattling noise when the accelarator was pressed down. As i apporoached the off ramp, smoke/steam started coming from under the bonnet and the car lost all power so stopped the car and hazards on. Called AA to find out my membership had expired three days earlier!

I let the car cool down, checked the oil to see it was very low so got some more oil and restarted engine for the first time and it started straight away. Started driving towards my house (5 minutes away) and everytime i slowed down, steam would be coming from under the bonnet. Eventually got to the house and parked up and let car cool down. I realised that one of the pipes that comes from the top of the coolant tank had become detached from the connector so reconnected that. Added more oil and filled up coolant tank.

Engine started fine but after a few minutes could hear a hissing noise coming from the back right of the engine and steam/spray coming from there. The car would then lose power.

I am led to believe this could be a cylinder head gasket failure? Does this sound right.

You may have gathered that i dont know anything about cars....

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - Simon

It very much sounds like head gasket failure.

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - activist3

Pants! Thats going to cost me! Might just hope the car gets washed away in these floods!

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - injection doc

whilst HG failure is common amoungst these Rover engines the most common cause in the inlet manifold leaking water at number 4 cylinder, causing water loss and engine damge through water loss.

The hissing may well be water & steam escaping from the inlt manifold where it joins the cylinder head.

I hate to tell you but the moment you heard the rattling you should of stopped, noteven a few hundred yards more down the road. The damage is done is seconds.

secondly the resovoir water caps tend to be defective on these cars and need regular replacement, if they are not replaced they loose pressure causing the water to boil in the head when you stop & then once again head damage through hot spots.

Check the manifold to see if the steam and water hissing out change tine when you try and wiggle the manifold, but watch out for hot steam its dangerous.

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - madf

Low oil suggests neglect and engine starting to seize (been there done that)

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - Robin the Technician

Time to have it put down, methinks

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - SteveLee

To paraphrase the OP, "I have no understaning of cars, I just put fuel in and drive them, despite being an old car, I failed to carry out even the most basic checks, coolant, oil etc. and blow me - it blew up." Tough. lesson learned? I doubt it...

Rover 45 - Rover 45 Engine Failure - sb10

Some people are buying cars like the rover because while they are ok, they last a while,like most cars they should be looked after ie regular checks made to water oil and brake/steering fluid.

But a lot of drivers buy untill it goes wrong then scrap, which at the prices rovers can be found for makes sense,I know several people that wont even look under the bonnet, and some dont even know if they have a spare wheel, and its becoming more common to hear of people that dont care about a car as long as it gets them from a to b,younger drivers are as bad